Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Journey to 5k - on the road again

C'mon everyone, sing it with me "On the road again....just can't wait to get on the road again". Oh don't act like you never jammed out to a little Willie Nelson. So as I typed this out and was singing, yes I sure was singing (just like Willie Nelson too), I thought to myself that I should save this opening for after the Color Run which is in 25 days. Then I said screw it, I can use it twice. Not like anyone will remember, except maybe Ms P but she will be alright. With that being said I have to remind myself, even though I didn't quit per se:



I didn't necessarily give up but I do have a habit of not being truly dedicated. Sure I want it but I just don't have the drive and discipline to stick with a routine for long periods of time and by long periods of time I mean anything more than 1 week. The longest workout routine I've done (aside from when I used to go to the gym to see the hot trainer, ahhhhh Bingham) is Windsor Pilates. I love that video but even that is back to collecting dust. I've tried several different workout videos throughout the years including my most recent purchse of Hip Hop Abs but nothing can keep my drive and attention for more than a week. So let's just cut to the chase, yes I can hear you all telling me that I'm rambling as usual.

Once again I had every intention of going to the gym today. And then it began, fate working against me. Even though our wellness walk coordinator at work was off again today I decided I was going anyway. Even though my girl that sits behind me was the only one that went we did it. I went to change my shirt and realized that I left my gym bag at home. Went on the walk and felt so gross for the rest of work because I worked up a sweat, then again I was wearing a sweater type top. Then I get a phone call that I have to skip the gym because I need to pick up my daughter from cheer class because her ride had a yoga class to attend. It just wasn't in the stars. So instead I came home, ate a grilled cheese (remember, I don't diet) and decided that 30 minutes later I was going for a quick run. Why did I only wait 30 mintues you ask? Because it was already 8pm and it was going to be getting dark outside soon. Now I'm no fool, I know better than the run outside in the dar. That's just asking for trouble. So I convince my daughter to run with me. She was more than willing because she knows I usually end up walking more than running. So on our way out the door she tells me "How many laps are we doing? Til you get freakishly moist?" My response was basically "hush up, let's go". I laughed for a few minutes as we walked to the park because it was funny to me. Freakishly moist...she must be trying to nicely tell me that I sweat a lot. Now let's not get overly excited here. I only did slightly over a mile with a very terrible time. However, tonight wasn't so much about time but working on my breathing. I wasn't able to jog the far distance I did on my birthday but I did try. Perhaps that grilled cheese and water sloshing around in my stomach were working against me. About 3/4 around on the 2nd lap I did feel slightly as though I was going to be sick. I sucked it up and walked a bit more. This time I tried to run uphill again. Yes, this time I actually mean run. Tonight I worked on sprinting as well. Now, let's settle down I know it is very exciting to hear that I did more than a jog but it was short lived. Remember I only did slightly over a mile tonight. It was funny while we were walking the last part of the park to complete our "work out" for the night. My daughter looks to me and I take out my headphones and she tells me "Mom, were you sprinting?". I respond with "yes" and a slight giggle because I was kind of shocked myself. She then proceeds to say "I thought so, I had to sprint my heart out to keep up with you!" That warmed my heart to hear her say that. I am going to pay for it though because my legs are in some pain right now. Even after stretching. What is that thing about muscle memory? Yes I was informed about it this weekend and that is what brought on the spints. My muscles sure remembered how much they didn't like sprinting.

Now let's get to even more exciting business...




That's right! Today has completed day 31 and tomorrow will officially mark 1 month that I have been smoke free. Never thought this would ever happen in the rest of my lifetime and here it was a total fluke. I had no desire to quit, my response to people used to always be "I'm no quitter!" And look at me now. *sings like Chris Brown - look at me now....look at me now....I'm a quit-ter* Ok I know I'm lame sometimes but I crack myself up so whatever. Oh, if you haven't noticed, today I really didn't have any notable mood swings. I'm quite baffled by it all. Perhaps I just need to blog about it. During the wellness walk at work I was talking about it and how I can't figure out what sets me off and how I just want to respond to people who ask me "What did I do to piss you off?" with "YOU EXIST!" Ok don't yell at me for using punctuation more than necessary in that last sentence. It's the truth though, if you ask me stupid questions you will get stupid answers. I have been quite pleasant today though. I'm so confused but I'm sure not going to complain about it. I'd much rather have days like today than to be moody and unpredictable. GO ME! Ok I think I may have a piece of cake to celebrate now. (Since I didn't get any after my "birthday lunch" at work today).

No comments:

Post a Comment