Monday, July 16, 2012

Journey to 5k and my commitment issues

Now before you start with any of your smart ass comments because of the title, let's come to an understanding. I am speaking of my love/hate relationship with this whole journey to 5k thing. I mean seriously, what the heck was I thinking? Did someone slip me some hallucingens? That has to be it because why else would I ever make a commitment to not one, but two 5k runs? I seriously contemplated this today in my head and realized that I really must have lost a few screws.

So as you can see (from previous entries) I have some serious commitment issues. We can all sit here and say that I just don't have motivation. We can all sit here and make up any other lame excuse ever but in reality I just have commitment issues. That is the only logical explanation I have right now. As I mentioned before, I knew that if I didn't sign up when I was motivated and had the drive within myself to do these runs that I would lose interest and push it aside. Now do I know me or do I know me?



So shall we do a quick recap of today? Warning, this will be an all-in-one recap. :-)

I woke up today questioning my crazy dream and really thinking to myself that I must have smoked in my sleep. I felt kind of yucky, as though I had a smoke then went straight to bed. Other smokers will know exactly what I'm talking about. After all, it could be possible right? Perhaps I should get rid of the almost full carton that is still sitting on top of my fridge. Anyway, off to work and on to the wellness walk. I tried to keep up the pace today as I am trying to get to a more brisk walk and improve my time on that so I can slowly begin to jog during that. In doing so I noticed the certain spots in the neighborhood where the group slows down as a whole. *High Five* to the two crazies that left us in the dust and finished the last (almost half) of the walk while running. I will be there with you one day. After work, being that it is Monday, I picked up the kids and off we went to the track. My daughter went with her Cheer group and I began my run/walk. Run the straights, walk the curves....Or attempt that anyway. I was on a roll and doing really well on time then I ran with a couple of the girls to push them to not be lazy. Then came the last half of what I wanted to run. My friends 3 year old son started to run with me and then grabbed my hand. So I walked with him until he finally let go and went with grandma. Bless his little heart for trying to run. And no, I don't run that slow silly gooses, I was going slow just for him. I didn't finish the last two laps I wanted to do because at this point it was time for us to go. Now if I can just improve my time I will be able to finish the 3.1 miles I want to start doing on Mondays. After running, I came home and after debating and a "Get off your ass" text I popped in my 20 minute pilates video and did that. I don't feel more accomplished having doing it but I know I will appreciate it when I'm sore in the morning for not having done it in a week.



So I am setting a goal for myself. Let's just wait and see if I can actually stick to it.
*Monday - run 3.1 miles (5k) and try to improve time, even if by seconds
*Wednesday - endurance running. Try to run further around the track without stopping.

I was asked today why I don't blog when I don't have anything to report. Basically because I don't want to let myself down by saying that I didn't do anything worth blogging for. Sad right? After all, I'm the only person that can let myself down.

Hope everyone else is doing great with their training.

ps. Theme song of the day was Johnny Gill - Rub You The Right Way (haha Thanks for making my day today Ms Parker)

No comments:

Post a Comment