Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Journey to 5k and human combustion

Ok, before too many of you get excited thinking that it was me that combusted let's talk about how I am no where near what I am in my head. Reality is such a buzzkill sometimes. So as usual we went on the "wellness walk" at work this morning. It was hot as Africa today too. I thought I was making good time as we passed the "fast paced" walkers but in reality (yes, it's such a Debbie Downer) we were walking in the same time as we do every day. That was Let Down #1.

WOW, I just got super cranky. But that is neither here nor there so let's carry on...



So today was not a "normal" run day for me. I arranged with my "goodest friend" to go on a run tonight. We plan to carry this on every Tuesday and Thursday. So naturally I wake up then fall back asleep after hitting the snooze button. That button has got to be the devil tempting you. Anyway, that led to me not going into work as early as I had hoped so I could leave early to go run. In the end it worked out ok though since my "goodest friend" was stuck at work an hour late anyhow. As the time neared I began to dread going for this run more and more. I think it had something to do with the fact that I knew she was going to leave me in the dust, which is fine, because she is more fit right now. Either way, I changed my clothes and put on my running shoes. Which reminds me, I think I need to get a better pair. Man, I really don't like shopping. Oops, almost a tangent. So after we clock out it's time to start our trek across town. We get to the park and begin. Funny thing the beginning of the "run". Our conversation begain something like this: Me: ok let's go. Her: Ok do you want to start with a slow jog *starts jogging*. Me: Ummmm that's all I can do. *sticks out bottom lip*. HA! Ok so maybe I exaggerated a bit by saying I stuck out my bottom lip, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to. So off we went. I "slow jogged" as she put it until I got winded. I made it further than I thought I would. I apologized for holding her back because I was out of breath. We talked about how to breathe better so I could run in longer spurts. It's not that I couldn't keep running, it's that I was literally out of breath and I was NOT about to push myself hard and end up passing out or throwing up.

So I normally breathe in and out of the nose. I tried her suggestion of in through the nose and out of the mouth. That is tough! I won't even lie. I tried it while jogging again and I felt like I was breathing too shallow. As though I wasn't exhaling enough before taking in more air. This is something I will have to practice. And even though that heffa has shorter legs than me she wasn't moving them as fast as I was. I think I need to work on longer strides also. And here I thought I was doing pretty good....then I went to "work out" with her. So I get to the point again where I can jog and I'm hyped (in my head) to try it again after recovering. Off we go...and that didn't last long. I had to suddenly begin to walk. My friend kept going and around the corner before she realized I wasn't with her anymore. When she looked back I just waved for her to keep going. I wasn't winded, it's not that I couldn't run anymore. It's quite honestly that my calves felt like they were going to explode! I had mentioned earlier that my calves were already getting tight but I figured once my muscles had warmed up they would feel better. Obviously this was not the case as I seriously felt like my lower legs were going to combust. I can't even begin to explain the pain I felt. Since I had already started a lap I walked, very slowly, to finish it. When I returned back to where we began I sat down to stretch out. I was in so much pain that even squatting down felt like I would feel better by just cutting my legs off. Have you ever eaten so much that you felt as though your stomach was going to explode? (don't lie, some of you look like it) Well imagine your calves feeling that full and any slight movement would make them combust and catch fire. That is the closest thing I have to describe it.

So that picture you see posted above...It's a lie! Instead I would much rather say this to her:



I felt like such a let down tonight. Even though she says I didn't let her down (some motivator she is). She must think I'm full of horse poop now when I say that I can do it. Tonight really left me in exercise purgatory. Questioning all of life. How is it that it has been so easy (considering) for me to quit smoking than it is for me to run/walk/job? I have been 17 days without a cigarette yet I try to run/job a few yards and my legs want to explode.

Such is life, but you know what? I did a total of (slightly over) 3 miles today. So since my "goodest friend" left me with this, I will share the wealth. After all, sharing is caring. Darn her! I mean gotta love her. ;-)



What is it with me and getting cranky after certain workouts? Am I just that displeased with myself that I get pissed at the rest of the world? Please respond if you have the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment