Monday, July 23, 2012

Journey to 5k and a day of birth

Well Happy Birthday to me! Oh, don't tell me that none of you don't ever wish yourself a happy day much less a happy birthday.



So I have had a guilty conscience because I "planned to not run" over my 4 day weekend. Thanks a lot! Sheesh. So I woke up this morning and thanked the man up above for another day, took a deep breath and debated laying in bed for 2 more hours. I then looked at the clock again and thought to myself that if I got out of bed, got some clothes on and didn't waste anymore time I'd still have time for a quick jog/walk before it got too hot outside. After all, I was blessed with another day and I had said the night before that my only plan was to enjoy each moment and every breath. So I throw on some shorts and a tank top and pull my hair back into a ponytail. Naturally this took me almost an hour from the time I woke up. I grab my iPod and crap....it's battery life is just about non-existent. So I turn on my laptop and connect my phone. I quickly drag over a couple of upbeat DJ mixes that I have and proceed outside. Yes, I have an android phone now (I still miss the blackberry) and NO I have never put any music on it, that's what my iPod is for...DUH!

By the time I make it outside it is 10:11am. Yes I looked at the clock to get the precise time. Don't judge me. I decide to walk the first lap to warm up. I really want to work on my endurance to be able to run further versus faster. So I walk almost the entire first lap. When I get to the corner of the park that leads uphill I decided to jog it. I really do have to get in the habit of saying jog instead of run because there is nothing "running" about it. I start and head uphill....around the corner....around the next corner and to the next. Wait, did I just really jog almost an entire lap around the park? I sure did! I about high fived myself but was in such shock that I did it. I walked the last stretch of that lap with the biggest grin on my face. Of course, the next lap I wasn't so successful but baby steps (so to speak). I again attempted to run uphill and made it just that stretch of the park. JOG! Dangit....Jog. I attempted to JOG. SO anyway I alternated here and there between my fast paced walk, well what I consider fast paced, and a slow jog. Why do I always type job and have to correct it to jog? So I went around a total of 4 laps, which if you remember according to the park sign would equal 2 miles. However my nifty phone application registered it at 1.60 miles. I ran...I mean jogged the last stretch uphill again and then decided to just end it because it was getting super hot and I really wasn't interested in getting heat stroke on my birthday. Now mind you when I say uphill I don't mean like a serious hill, it is more of a slight incline but when walking or attempting to jog it sure does feel like a hill. Now I was disappointed in my time but I was super happy about being able to "jog" further than I ever have around the park so I didn't let it bring me down too much.

Running tonight was cancelled again due to the rain and lightning we had. So I was glad that I did decide to run this morning. Otherwise my guilt conscience would have nagged at me for being a slacker.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that it has officially been 3 weeks since I last had a cigarette. I honestly didn't believe that I would make it this far. Perhaps that played a key part in my being able to run farther, maybe not. All I know is that I really need to keep it up. A few things that are definitely apparent since I've quit is that I wake up slightly easier now, I don't wake up with mucus (gross I know) to gag on, my mouth feels so much cleaner throughout the day, I am consistently concerned about my breath, I am beginning to get cranky easier. Oh yes....the crankiness is definitely setting in. Oh boy! It doesn't take much to set me off either. It took me almost all day to figure out why I was literally Super B***h because I didn't attribute it to being from me quitting smoking. I guess it really did take 3 weeks for me to get this side effect. Thank goodness my friends and family love me and understand. It's kind of odd to me that some people still didn't/don't know that I have quit smoking, much less for 3 weeks now. I do take pride in letting people know that I am offically now a quitter. I had always said that I was no quitter and why would I quit smoking. So GO ME! Well it is time for me to end my birthday on a good note and dream sweetly. ******* One last note: I did get a new "sweatband" for my birthday from my "goodest" friend. So my other good friend can get a laugh out of that one. Hopefully it will fit my head. No I didn't wear it this morning, I was waiting for tonight's JOG! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment