Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Journey to 5k - Sprinting Sucks

Yes I said it. And I meant it! I am seriously not fond of sprinting, in the least bit. I don't mind it while I'm doing it, it's the aftermath that I don't care for. Yes, again I felt like my calves were a part of some sick experiment of human combustion. We'll get to that in a bit. Want to know something cool about my nifty phone application? Well aside from the fact that it uploads your activities to a database it also keeps track of your workouts. Since we are on the first day of August and I have been using it for a full month now It tells me that for July I ran/jogged/walked a total of 44.3 miles. That's a nice motivator in itself. GO ME! (Yes, even with all the rest days I took.)

This morning we kicked butt on our wellness walk. I am so proud that we almost met the goal I set a while back to walk a mile in 15 minutes. We did it in 16 minutes and 11 seconds. Granted we walk 1.5 miles for our wellness walks at work. We also completed the walk in the shortest time I've ever done. Our usual time is around 25 minutes, ok between 25 and 28 minutes. Today we completed the walk in 23 minutes and 54 seconds (1.51 miles). Now I usually don't put the times down but I was super excited to have such a great walk. The first few left before us because naturally I lost track of time and still had to change my shoes. So the 4 of us that left a few minutes after the first group caught up and eventually passed them. Yes, we were on a roll today. One day I will make that goal I set for myself to walk the mile in 15 minutes during our wellness walks at work. Once I master that I will think about starting to jog parts of it. I said THINK about it, let's not get too overly excited about that. Needless to say, I felt great after the walk today.



Yeah I posted it! I mean that too. Going running with my son has got to be the worst idea ever! Both kids are registered to do the Color Run with me because they were excitedly telling me how they wanted to do it with me. Anyway, I get him and we head to the park. On the way to the park I almost collected two new friends. My neighbors Dalmation was following us to the park. Then because the Dalmation went the other dog (not sure what breed) decided it wanted to go to. When the owner picked up the Dalmation the other white dog decided it was going to continue walking with us. Too funny and I was laughing because now anytime I see someone with a dog at the park/track I think of Ms Parker and her always having run ins in some which way or another. I let him know that I was going to walk the first lap around the park because I was going to try sprinting again. He tells me that he is going to do the same, which shocks me because usually he doesn't like to be seen publically with me unless I'm buying him something. So when we are turning the corner for the last stretch of the first lap I begin to jog. It was slightly difficult because my legs were apparently still sore from the night before. As we go around, obviously back to walking, I get to the parts of the park that I wanted to sprint. After the 2nd or 3rd sprint I took my earphones out and told my son "You didn't think Mom could run that fast did you?" Naturally his response was no. Then again this is the same kid that tells me that I need to eat yoplah (yoplait) to help me loose weight; to order diet pills, workout videos; that I'm fat. Well during the recover times of tonights workout he kept asking how many laps we were doing or if we were done yet. Now I whine and I take too many rest days but when I'm doing it I try to not complain. He was driving me insane. We ended after doing 2.1 miles.

I wasn't so concerned with the timing of my workout because I was working on my breathing techniques and sprinting again. Did I mention that I really don't like sprinting? I was able to sprint more tonight because I actually went before I ate and with more time before the darkness set in. For the last lap I decided it was time to walk very, very slowly to cool down because my calves felt like they were going to explode. Now try to explain that to a 13 boy that really doesn't care what you have to say but is there and pretending to listen because you are the parent and you "made" him go. My explanation was to imagine blowing up a balloon and how it becomes really difficult to add more air because it is so full it is about to burst. Yes, that is how my calves felt and each step I took was like adding more air to the balloon. After stretching out my warm muscles I really started to think that perhaps I'm getting shin splints. Those are definitely not fun! I used to get those in cheer back in high school. This is probably a result in my poor legs having to carry all this weight around. I am not dieting and don't plan to though.

One thing at a time and right now I'm doing two. Working on preparing for these 5 k runs I've signed myself up for and I'm 32 days now of being smoke free. Or officially 1 month if you want to look at it that way. I'm still up in the air for the Dirty Dash but I don't know I can prepare before then because I really feel that I need strength training for that one. It does look fun though. Anyway, I feel really great tonight. My breathing is fine, I feel healthier (so to speak). I really feel that sometime serious would have to happen for me to cave and set me back at day 1 now. Even my mood swings weren't enough to make me cave.

So overall, in the words of Ice Cube...Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment