Thursday, August 30, 2012

2 Mile Mornings

Now that The Color Run is behind us we are working towards the Hot Chocolate 15k/5k that will take place in 30 days. I really need to get my butt in gear for this one as this is not just a fun run. This one is an acutal timed race. While I'm not particularly excited about that part, I am excited about the Chocolate Party after. Being that I'm no longer on Facebook my friends do make sure that I'm up to date on everything. I was sent a picture of what will be awaiting the participants at the finish line. This will be my motivation to keep working towards my goal.



Let's discuss my latest, greatest idea. Feeling great about finishing The Color Run I decided that I wanted to work harder. Now we remember that I got myself in this predicament in the first place by getting a sudden motivation and registering for two 5k runs. Again I ask myself "What was I thinking?" and with school back in session I will be busier since I also coach cheer. So back to Monday (today is Thursday). Wait, I stand corrected. It was Tuesday because Monday we had a big company meeting and didn't get to take our morning Wellness Walk. So Tuesday I decided that I wanted to run. You can see where this is going right? My goodest friend held me to it. We dressed out (changed our clothes) and headed outside. The walkers left without us but that is ok. There were 3 of us going (the 4th ran ahead of us because they thought I was kidding). Yes, you read that correctly. My friends know me all too well and didn't take me serious until I crossed the street instead of turning the corner. So off we went for our first 2 mile morning. Mind you our wellness walks are usually 1.5 miles. Little did I know that majority of this route was going to be uphill. So I jog/walk/jog/walk/walk/walk..... I tell my goodest friend to stay in front of me since she knows where to turn. Boy was I in for a big shock when we were like the energizer bunny and kept going and going... Needless to say I hung in there the best I could and we actually caught up to the walkers. I was quite proud of myself. After the first 2 mile morning my goodest friend tweeted me this:



So then the next day, hold on. I may have confused all my days now. Either way, the next day we did another 2 mile morning. This time we took a different route. It literally was 1 mile uphill (on a steady incline) then 1 mile back downhill. Of course this is on a major road so of course you don't want to look like a clown attempting to run. My times were slightly slower but it was definitely interesting to see the difference in each mile (uphill vs downhill). The following day we walked because everyone was just not feeling good. I was ready to go again but we just walked the 1.5 route instead. I figure if I still have the motivation I may as well take advantage.

Then comes today. Oh boy has it been a day from hell! I was Super Oscar the Grouch this morning by the time I got to work. I really felt like I needed to run to get rid of some aggrivation. Noone else was going to run today so I decided I was going to do this on my own. They aren't going to be next to me all the way to the finish line (they will leave me in the dust and I am ok with that) so only I can make myself do this. So I dressed out and off I went. The walkers had left about 4 minutes ahead of me. I decided to take the first route we went on so I could try to catch the walkers on the last half mile. I felt I ran more than the first day when I didn't know the route but my timing said otherwise. It was already getting hot outside also. It really does heat up once 10:30am hits. As I was nearing my mile and a half I still didn't see the walkers. By the time I got back onto the main road they were already turning back into the parking lot. I knew I could never catch them so I continued at my own pace. My time was the same as the other 2 mile mornings and I am ok with that. I am just hoping that I can stay motivated and continue doing this every morning. Oh, and in case you're wondering, my mood did get better for a couple hours after my run/jog/walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment