Thursday, August 9, 2012

Journey to 5k and the Great American Smokeout

So I'm sitting here trying to figure out what I'm going to write and I'm really not focused. That tends to happen a lot lately but at least I can usually stay focused enough to at least blog.

So quick recap of yesterday. No, I didn't run. I had the day off work and I had every intention of waking early so I could go before it was time to register the kids for school. However, remember how I told you I'm not a morning person? Yep, I'm a very hard sleeper also so waking me up is a task and a half. So needless to say I hit the snooze and then didn't wake up for another hour and a half. So no run for me. Went to the school to get the kids registered and ran into a friend of mine that I've known since elementary school. I haven't seen her in quite some time. SO after registration and the parent orientation type meeting we go outside to the car so she can smoke. Even before that I could smell the smoke on her. I never noticed it before. Made me wonder if I always smelled like that but when I ask people who "didn't know" I smoked, they always say they didn't know. So either they are lying or I really didn't. Anyway, we go outside and the car smelled like a smokers car. I used to hate when my old car would stink like smoke, yet I still smoked in it. I would always try to air it out but I guess you can't ever really do that. Main reason I decided to not smoke in the new car. So while she was smoking I made sure my window was down and I'm sure I smelled like an ashtray by the time we got back to the school because she smokes a lot. Perhaps this is my sense of smell coming back. I really felt like we were cheech & chong without the funny stuff.



Today I went on the wellness walk and we were basically cruising along at a decent pace. Wasn't a great time but wasn't horrible either. After the charlie horse I had from Monday night and half of the day yesterday I didn't want to push it.

Tonight was a run night after all. The cheer calendar didn't state it was so I didn't prepare my "gym bag" ahead of time. So I had to come home after work, change, then head back past my office to the track. I had decided I was going to attempt 5k today whether I liked it or not. The way my moods have been today (yes this again) I knew I wasn't going to like it. So I stretched, and went for it. Did I mention I was wearing the sweatband I got for my birthday? Yes! Everyone got a kick out of it but in the end this sweatband was the best thing ever during my run! It stayed on my head, prevented the sweat from falling in my eyes and making them burn, and was the newest fashion statement at the track. My time wasn't great, my 2nd mile was the fastest but I managed to complete 3.24 miles. I'm really not sure why my time keeps getting slower instead of faster. Especially with me being a quitter and no longer smoking. I guess I just need to learn how to breath properly still. And watching this 1500 for the olympics isn't making me feel any better. Tonight was the last night of "conditioning" by running with cheer so now it's up to me to stay on top of it. Wish me luck because I feel that I'm seriously going to need it. As you can see below, attempting 5k really takes a toll on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment