Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Journey to 5k and the Kentucky Derby...

Today has been such a melancholy day. I can't really explain it. Lots of laughter this morning but as the day went on, the atmosphere got more mellow. Even on our morning wellness walk at work. We took our time today and finished the 1.5 miles in 26 minutes. How terrible, but at least we went on a walk. Now let's get down to the real business from today...well this evening really. Leaving work late and rushing home to get my daughter and then to turn back around and head to the track is not very stress relieving. I get changed, grab my new running shoes and head out the door. We get to the track 15 minutes late for their running practice. I really wasn't feeling it tonight. Then I noticed Miss Daisy was there. So I went into Hoke Colburn mode and was Driving Miss Daisy. I then proceeded to push the stroller around the track. I figured if I walk at a decent pace I will still be making it worth while. This would give me a chance to work on my 15 minute walking mile.

After a couple of laps it was time for the girls' cool down lap so my daughter wanted to push the stroller. I took advantage and decided I would try to get some sort of jogging in. I mentioned sprinting to one of the coaches and she said she'd sprint with me. After getting caught up in conversation with another parent I decided to just get it over with. I jog around the track and made it further than I thought I would. So then I decided I would attempt to sprint the straights and recover on the curves. I sprint the first straight and didn't get as far as I'd hoped by my headphones were flying everywhere since they decided not to stay in my ears. Then I get to the second straight. After feeling a slight pain in my left quad I decided to sprint anyway. Dumbest move ever! Folks, I now welcome you to the Kentucky Derby!



Yes, you see this horse above? This is "A horse named Charlie". I came to know "A horse name Charlie" quite well this evening.

Needless to say I still have a charlie horse in my leg as I type out this entry more than 4 hours later. I have stretched, massaged and tried to be still. Nothing is helping so I am going to just call it a night and hope that I am better in the morning. Oh, before I forget...good news. My shoes didn't leave me feeling like shin splints or human combustion of the calves. Then again I really didn't run/jog but two of the 2 miles I did tonight.

Now I shall go dream about My Little Pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment