Sunday, September 30, 2012

America's Sweetest Race - Hot Chocolate 15k/5k

Before I begin I'd like to note that there is so much I wanted to blog about this past week but when I had any downtime to actually sit down and write, I was fast asleep. Actually having to take time off work to play taxi for my children is a full time job in itself when they are this busy. Working, playing chauffer, coaching cheer and playing mom = one exhausted woman! Needless to say I only ran on Monday this week and walked Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday and Friday I worked instead of participating in any outdoor activities. So I'm just going to let it all slide and continue foward because I did it! I crossed the finish line on two feet, running! As opposed to my previous thoughts of me crawling across on all fours.

Thursday night (inbetween dropping my son off for mma classes and dropping off my daughter for cheer practice) I went to pick up my packet for the Hot Chocolate 15k/5k. I was so excited and after picking up the packets for the Color Run (both which benefit Ronald McDonald House Charites - New Mexico) I knew I should pick up my own since they have merchandise for sale. Packet pick-up was yet again so easy it seemed like a dream. You could literally be in and out within 5 minutes (if you are only picking up your packet of course). After buying the hoodie I wanted since seeing it on Facebook, and those that know me know how much I love hoodies, we were on our way out. Now of course I bought my daughter a shirt since she was pissed that she couldn't run because it interferred with her cheer and myself a shirt. In the parking lot was the "RV" with chocolate samples from the HC Tour Crew and I must say that it was some of the best chocolate I have tasted in a while.



Friday night I went back to packet pick up with my "goodest" friend aka Running Regina (HA! I finally found a name for her) so she could find a shirt to wear for the run. While we looked at the merchandise again the kids fully indulged themselves in samples of chocolate. Remember the shirt that I bought the previous night? Well even though I really wanted the pink one that I bought it fit me much like wet spandex - no exaggeration. So I bought me the orange one in the next size up and it's truly amazing what a difference one size will make. I also bought me a "running" shirt to wear for the race. Running Regina also bought herself a cute top to wear for run day. Now let me add that since she had someone else pick up her packet for her she had no idea that there was merchandise for sale. After getting everything together and deciding what to wear for the race I decided that I was not near as ready as I had hoped I would've have been after trying to prepare for the past 3 months. My son had decided that he didn't want to run with me but that he wanted to volunteer. Good for him! So off to bed I go because I need all the rest I can get in order to make sure I can give this run every effort I got.



D-Day - Saturday September 29. 2012

Alarm goes off at 5:05am. I hit the snooze a couple of times before I actually rolled myself out of bed to jump in the shower. I get myself dressed, brush my hair into a tight ponytail and lace up my shoes. I wake my son so he can get ready to go volunteer. I had every intention of being downtown no later than 630am. Unfortunately, that is when I was leaving my house. I arrive downtown around 15 minutes later and meet up with my "goodest" friend Running Regina. After dropping my son off with the other volunteers, we head to gear check and the porta-potty. We then meet up with our other friend from work Jogging Joanne. With about 5 mintues to spare, go time for the 5k is 715am, we head to corral B.



The National Anthem is played and then off we go. First off is corral A. Now mind you I had set and started my nifty phone application and had to reset it. Oops! A couple of minutes later it was "On your marks, get set, GO!" for corral B. Ok so really it was more like a cap gun to signal it but none the less it was the begin of my first "timed" 5k. This is what I had been preparing for for the past 3 months.

Off we go and as I had expected, Running Regina was off and lost in the crowd within 1 minute of the race beginning. I was with Jogging Joanne for a good couple of minutes, making our way through the crowd, then it happened... I looked down and you'll never believe this, but my darn shoe was untied. Now if you've ever attempted to run/walk/jog with me in real life you would know that my shoe is always untied. So anyway, I make my way to the side to be able to tie my shoe without being run over by the other runners. As I was up and ready to get back to running I realized that I had lost my groove. This was the absolute worst because I was doing so good and keeping a steady pace. When I started my first portion of walking to recover I swear about 200 people passed me, no exaggeration. And here I thought we began at the back, where did all these people come from? When I reached my first mile the counter said 13 minutes and about 30 something seconds. This was a downer because I haven't had that long of a mile in a very long time so I knew I needed to put some immediate pep in my step! My second mile was clocked at 26 minutes 33 seconds (according to the counter at the second mile mark). What made me laugh before I hit the 2nd mile though was a line of cars stuck at an intersection. I couldn't help but laugh and think how much it sucked to be them stuck there having to wait for the runners to clear. They had to have beent here already about 10-15 minutes and who knows how much longer. I would have been pissed if that was me stuck having to wait for a bunch of runners. Anyway, I was getting hot at this point and decided to take off my jacket and tie it around my waist. I also had to pocket my sunglasses as they were staying fogged up. The outside temperature was definitely rising. At this point I was in a groove with a few other runners, not that they were aware of this. They would jog past me while I was walking. Then I would jog to catch up to them and pass them while they walked or slowed down. When I would walk they would catch up to me, then pass me. This went on for about the last 3/4 mile of the 5k. It worked though because this is what got me to the end of the race without giving up and walking the rest of the way. So thank you to those anonymous runners/walkers that got me through this. When I saw the third mile marker and counter I saw it said 39 minutes and 30 seconds. What is it with me and 30 seconds? So anyway, I thought to myself that I can't run a tenth of a mile in less than 30 seconds even if I sprinted as fast as I could. So I just kept my steady pace and when I actually passed the third mile the counter was over 40 minutes.

I DID IT! I crossed the finish line, on two feet and still jogging. Straight from the finish line to the "Chocolate" line. I immediately found Jogging Joanne in line so I jumped in with her as we attempted to look for Running Regina. A few minutes later Running Regina called to let me know she was picking up her finishers mug and would meet me on the other side. While waiting in line I calculated my running application and figured I finished slightly over 40 minutes. My phone application stopped on my a couple minutes in and I had to restart it.



Can you believe she had the nerve to stand there in front of us and indulge in her chocolate while we drooled? She went through my son's line so I jumped lines to go through his. Shortly after getting our "Finisher's Mugs" Jogging Joanne went to go find her husband.



In the meantime, Running Regina and I indulged in our chocolate for Dipcision 2013. In our "Finishers Mug" we received apple slices, rice krispy treat, banana, pretzels and a marshmallow for dipping into the chocolate fondue as well as a cup of hot chocolate. Talk about a chocolate party! My favorite was the apple slices dipped in chocolate. Bananas and chocolate are great too but I was pleasantly surprised with the apple slices and chocolate.

We hung around for a while longer to see the 15k runners cross the finish line. While doing so we went to gear check to pick up my bag. When we stood up we almost fell over laughing because we left butt sweat marks on the concrete bench we were sitting on. Now I'm sure you are all thinking that this is TMI but it was so funny that I had to share it. The only thing funnier was when I took my jacket off (I got cold after cooling down and put it back on) and had a boob sweat mark on my shirt. Don't judge me, I just ran/walked 3.1 miles (5k) and I sweat....SUE ME! In waiting around for my son to finish his volunteering we heard the top 3 of both 5k and 15k winners announced. The first place winner for the 5k finished in 19 minutes and 31 seconds. He was 13 years old! Using my calculations I did .22 miles in 2:41 then reset and did 2.95 miles in 35:56. When adding that in my head after finishing I came up with over 40 minutes. My personal goal was to finish in under 40 minutes. In my mind I wanted to finish in 36 minutes which would meet my 12 minute per mile goal that I registered with. So my mind was obviously not thinking clearly so I don't want to hear anything about my awesome math skills. When the results were finally posted online I couldn't find mine. I knew I finished in the 40 minute range but couldn't find myself. The counter at the 3rd mile told me so. Eventually I found my name and I was in shock. My final time was 38:18. Yes folks, 38 minutes and 18 seconds and I was so excited and pleased with myself. While I didn't meet my personal goal of the 12 minute pace per mile I did meet my personal goal of finishing in under 40 minutes. This was my personal best for running a 5k! Running Regina finished in 26:32 and Jogging Joanne finished in 35:49. In looking at the results I saw a few other people I know, including a cousin, that also ran. I had no idea. Another one of our friends that used to work with us finished in 26:29 and that was hilarious because Running Regina was quite upset that she was beat by her. They basically crossed at the same time.

Overall I had a great time and while the Post Party wasn't as fun as The Color Run the chocolate definitely made up for it. Perhaps I should send a suggestion email that they need to have a DJ or something so there is more of an audience when the winners are announced. It was kind of like: Ok I crossed the finish line, I received my chocolate, now what? May as well go home. Then again, what do I know? This was my first 5k race. I definitely look foward to next year. In the meantime I will have to decide on which one I will attempt to complete next. Now only if my dear friend across the country would let me know which 5k we are going to take part in together life would be grand. Special note to her: If I can do it then so can you now hurry your tush up!

Thank you to everyone who came along and stayed for any part of this Journey to 5k with me. Stay tuned for tomorrow's celebration (it marks 3 months).



No comments:

Post a Comment