Tuesday, September 11, 2012

2 mile mornings - 9/11



I saw that one day and loved it! It's always nice to have a reminder for motivation. What I love about it is that it can be motivational for anything, not just running/working out/etc.

Today was another 2 mile morning. I went yesterday by myself and decided to change it up a bit. It is so easy to fall into habit when you take the same route day after day. While I did take one of our 2 routes for 2 mile mornings, I changed it up by going the opposite way. I was thinking that I would have more of a downhill run and hoping that I would have a better time. Boy was I wrong! I believe that I actually ended up doing more of the same just more uphill in the beginning versus the middle of the route. Although, I did enjoy having more shade in the last half of the run/walk. Today I had company and was pretty stoked about it. While one of my coworkers said he would go slow with me at my pace, I knew better. So there were four of us that were going to "run" today. While I started out slowest because I wanted to walk to warm up until I reached the end of the parking lot I soon was on my own. Oh, excuse me, another coworker went last minute so her buddy stayed with her at her pace. What a great friend. The other two were way ahead of me outpacing each other it seemed. In the end I felt that I ran more than I had been doing. I even had the best time yet for a 2 mile morning. I was pretty excited about that, well as excited as one can be when struggling to breathe. I beat my previous times by at least 30 seconds and in my eyes that is a huge deal. GO ME!



Now today is 9/11 and being American it is a special depressing day. A day where everyone flocks to social networking to say where they were on that fateful day 9/11/01. I will spare you all my story as it's not very exciting. Anyway, I got to thinking. Yes, scary thought I know. So before I start going on a tangent let me share my thoughts. My dear friend once told me (and wrote it in her blog if I remember correctly) that if she has to run more than 2 miles for anything it's not worth it. Basically if someone is trying to rob her and they chase her that far then they can just have it. Well being that today is 9/11 I was remembering a video on a tv show I watched the other night where it showed candid video when the Towers were collapsing and the people running to get away from it. So I thought to myself "Self, sure you would never be able to escape it completely but by being able to run at least 2 miles without stopping or walking you would have a better headstart than most". Then I saw something that said "Don't bother running, you'll only die tired". I'd at least like to think that I attempted to get away. Just a little food for thought.

Ok now I'm tired and will start rambling if I don't end this right here.

OH WAIT...

Today was funny. I was in the bathroom at work and a coworker walked in. Now mind you it was stinking in there so I had to make it clear that it was not from me. Yes, I work with some stinky females that have no shame. But that's neither here nor there. We got to talking when I made it known that it wasn't me and after laughing she brought up how I quit smoking. She congraulated me and I think I stood a little taller. This is coming from someone that I've seen try to quit and hasn't been able to yet. *pats self on back* Only about 2 1/2 more weeks until I hit 3 months of being smoke-free.

Ok now I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment