Sunday, September 23, 2012

Journey to 5k - 2 Mile Mornings - Weekly Update

Man, this past week has definitely been an eventful one. I'm just going to start by saying that I am very thankful that we are allowed to have this "wellness walk" time at work otherwise I'd never be able to find the time to get any sort of cardio activity in. I did have an interesting conversation that was one of those "duh" moments after the face, but we will get to that later.

I've been averaging 3 "2 mile mornings" and 2 "wellness walk" mornings per week. Last week I really had it in my head that I was going to be able to complete 5 "2 mile mornings" this past week but naturally that didn't happen. It is amazing how exhausting it can be to get paid to run 2 miles (or walk 1.5 miles) and live a normal (or not so normal) every day life. You don't want to really hear about how busy my life is with my son playing soccer and taking mma classes, my daughter being on 3 all-star cheer teams and a school cheer team, and me working full time while coaching the school cheer team (last year I coached two) so I won't bore you with all those details. So instead let's recap this last week.

Monday - 2 mile morning Tuesday - 2 mile morning Wednesday - wellness walk (1.5 miles) Thursday - wellness walk (1.2 miles - see below) Friday - wellness walk (1.5 miles)

Ok so I lied. I just looked at my handy dandy notebook....I mean phone application to double check. Ok so I'm sure none of you laughed at my Blue's Clue's reference but whatever. HA! So anyway I remembered incorrectly, that's how mush my brain is lately. Perhaps this is a great way to lead into my conversation this week with my "goodest" friend. I sure do talk about her a lot don't I? Anyway, one day early in the week we were talking after changing to run how dry she was. Her mouth was dry basically. I kind of laughed at her because we live in the desert. Everything is dry out here. Anyway, the next day I noticed that my mouth was extra dry. It is a strange feeling because no matter how much water you drink it doesn't help the problem. Nevemind the fact that I didn't think about the fact that my lips have been dry lately. I feel like I'm putting chapstick on 50 times a day. So we get to talking on Thursday morning before the "wellness walk" about this. She mentioned how her cousin told her to drink some gatorade because she could be drinking too much water and flushing out all of her electrolytes. During our conversation we went over how much water each of us should be drinking and I, for the most part, drink more than enough each day. Of course there are those days where I don't drink nearly enough water. Granted, I don't drink much soda (Coke for all those that I have the Coke vs Soda vs Pop conversations with). So anyway, we decided that we were going to try to drink some gatorade each day to try to replenish ourselves with electrolytes to see if we notice a difference. Now mind you, we had also talked about how "old" we both feel from achy bones and throbbing muscles all of a sudden. Sure we went through all that when we both first started running in preparation for our upcoming events but we shouldn't really be feeling it all over again right? Anyway, I convinced her on Thursday to walk a different route (she wants to begin running this route eventually) so I could stop by the gas station so I could get some gatorade. Funny thing was I had bought some the night before but forgot to grab it before work. She had stopped before work and got her some. This is why our walk was shorter than usual this day. Anyway, Friday neither of us felt as dry and as exhausted but we still didn't run that morning. Of course over the weekend I haven't had any gatorade but I really haven't done any sort of cardio activity. Now let me add something to this. I was talking about this with my mom and she mentioned to me about making a concoction of kool-aid and orange juice. Apparently this is what the doctor prescribed when I was younger and sick. This is supposed to be more full of electrolytes. I had completely forgotten about this until she mentioned it but the memory came flooding back after she said it. I remember it being pretty good when I was little. We'll soon find out because I will be making this at some point in the week. That reminds me, I forgot to tell my "goodest" friend this.

That is all I have for you today and I'm exhausted all over again. Until next time... **edit** I almost forgot to mention that my son finally noticed that I quit smoking. It's been almost 3 months and he just now noticed. Show's how much they pay attention to me. I guess my daughter noticing a month late isn't that bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment